This recipe graciously stolen from nomorecrohns.com and used a gazillion times.
1 large can (27 oz) whole Ortega Green Chilies, split
1-1/2 c. freshly grated cheddar cheese (pre-grated cheeses contain starch)
1-1/2 c. freshly grated jack cheese
Salt and pepper
4 large eggs
1 c. homemade SCD yogurt
1 small can sliced black olives
1 medium-size firm-ripe tomato, diced
1. Slice chilies open and arrange half of the chilies, spread open, in a single layer on the bottom of a shallow 1-1/2 to 2-quart baking dish.
2. Evenly sprinkle half of the cheddar and jack cheeses over chilies. Spread on half the olives. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Repeat layers, using remaining chilies, cheeses, and olives.
4. In a bowl, beat together eggs and yogurt until blended. Pour evenly over chilies and cheese, topping with remaining olives.
5. Bake at 375 degrees until custard is set and jiggles only slightly in center when gently shaken and edges have begun to brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Garnish with the diced tomatoes on top.
We make this all the time. It takes some prep with the cheese grating and slicing, but is really tasty and we love it as leftovers. Frequently we’ll make taco meat to have with it as well. So stinkin’ good, guys. Seriously try it.
Total Time: 50 minutes
Prep – 20 minutes
Cook – 30 hours
Yield: 10 servings