This recipe is graciously stolen from Chef John at foodwishes.blogspot.com.
[picture to come.]
1 lamb breast, about 3-4 lbs.
For the spice rub:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
For the “chimichurri” sauce:
1/2 cup packed chopped Italian parsley
2 cloves crushed garlic
1/3 cup white wine vinegar, more as needed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon honey
juice from 1 lemon
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 300° F.
2. Combine all ingredients for the spice rub. Rub the rub (teehee) generously all over the lamb breast.
3. Place the lamb breast in a roasting pan and cover tightly with foil. Place pan in oven and cook for 2 1/2 – 3 hours, or until fork tender.
4. Remove lamb from oven (in the meantime, set the oven to 450° F) and separate into serving size portions. Place portions on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil and brush excess fat from the roasting pan on the lamb breast portions.
5. Place lamb back into the preheated 450° F for 15-20 minutes or until well browned.
6. While lamb is finishing, combine ingredients for chimichurri sauce and mix well.
7. After lamb has cooked, turn broiler on high and broil for 3-4 minutes, or until a nice crust has formed.
8. Serve lamb portions with chimichurri sauce poured on top!
Although this meal does not serve a lot considering the time involved, it is decadent enough to be perfect for that special occasion or that special someone! The rich, robust flavor of the lamb is paired excellently with the mock chimichurri sauce. This one is a mouth-waterer for sure!
Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
Prep – 15 minutes
Cook – 3 hours