This recipe graciously stolen from the Food Renegade.
juice of 12 lemons
1/2 cup honey, preferably light colored
1 cup of whey (the liquid drained off of yogurt)
1. Put all ingredients into a gallon sized container. Top off with water (distilled might be best; we actually like the taste of ours better with tap water.) Mix thoroughly and cover tightly with a lid.
2. Keep at room temperature for 48 hours.
3. Depending on how humid your climate is, some amount of yeast and/or mold could form. Don’t worry about it – just filter the finished product through some coffee filters.
4. Make sure to refrigerate after filtering, and enjoy!
I am someone who by and large is satisfied to drink water all the time. Occasionally, though, I get the craving for a tart, cold lemonade. This recipe delivers exactly what I’m looking for and has the added benefit of having beneficial live bacteria! Should you not care about the probiotic benefit, you may omit the whey – however, the final product will be sweeter due to the absence of bacteria.
Total Time: 2 days 15 minutes
Prep –15 minutes
Cook (sitting time) – 2 days
Yield: 1 gallon
This recipe courageously created by Lauren.
1 cup SCD yogurt
3/4 cup orange juice
1 ripened banana (black spots on skin)
1 sandwich bag frozen strawberries
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Place all ingredients inside blender or food processor.
2. Pulse and mix until well combined.
3. Pour into Push-Up Containers.
4. Place Push-Ups into freezer and wait!
Remember push-up pops? Lauren loved to eat the Flintstone Push-Ups every summer from the ice-cream trucks or if lucky, mom’s freezer. SCD attempt number one turned into something different, a smoothie like pop! The orange wasn’t cutting it, so we just started throwing things in. They are a nice strawberry tart relief from the heat. Next time we’ll try yogurt with fresh mango and OJ to bring back the old summer Flintstone fling. Oh and we might run the mix through the ice-cream machine before popping it into the Push-Ups.
Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
Prep – 10 minutes
Freeze – 4 hours
Yield: 5-6 push-ups